Wednesday, April 2, 2008

POEM ON THE SOUTH STREET BRIDGE

I think this is an adaptation of a poem by Walt Whitman, but I've never been able to find it. Does anyone have a source?

It's is a poem that appeared spray painted on the South Street Bridge years ago--maybe a decade ago! For the time it was perfect:

I am anticipating the return
of the gay men to the trees
and railroad tracks that line the Schuylkill River.

I see them everyday in this season
I disturb them by staring.

Love is not dead, but lurks
as a seed within their blind lust.

They hunt (hurt) for partners
behind stone columns and trees.

They are not the unnatural ones
the ones on display
acting out for us all love's fumbling futility.

For those who dare look
they unblind us all.

Love is not dead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am a nobody too, and I too was really taken with this poem. I don't know if you check comments on this blog anymore, but I wanted to let you know that I took pictures of the bridge back in 1994, because I knew that one day it would be gone. Yesterday when the new bridge opened, I went and posted them on the railing, near where the old graffiti was. Take a look, if you happen to walk by - I wonder how long they will be allowed to stay there! I don't have a blog, but if you want you can email me at iara.mdo@gmail.com